Friday 29 November 2013

The Teaching Room Refurbishment was a Great Success.... or was it?


 

Response 1

In earlier posts I have written about the problem of pleasing all the people all of the time. The responses below amplify this problem. The first response is not overly critical but you can see the difference in need from these two lecturers using the same room.
I now there will be people reading this shouting the 'f' word...flexible. This is not a panacea for all rooms. It has it's place but we also need specific layouts, and that being the case, the needs of the user should be matched up with room types available. If only it were that simple!
 
This is the room discussed.
 
 
Response 1
C43 is not quite so appropriate for the class I have - I have a grammar lecture with finalists and because of the set-up they have to twist around to look at me and then twist back to write at the tables. When I use PowerPoint it seems to be ok as there is more than one screen they can watch. It's the same problem with the middle whiteboard needing water for cleaning, so I tend to avoid it and use the other two. With another class immediately following in another building there is no time to spend doing lots of cleaning.

Response 2
Overall I think the refurbishment (C43) is excellent, and has allowed me to change the way my lectures run, because of the new layout - much more favourable for in-class discussions etc. Below are a few more specific comments for you:

a)      The technology - to a very high standard. Not used to its full potential yet - this is mostly due to planning on my part.

b)      The decoration - bright and vibrant. creates a much nicer atmosphere to work in.

c)       Lighting and lighting control - simple, easy to use and effective in each of the pre-programmed modes,

d)      Blackout - not had to use, so can't comment.

e)      Furniture type - I like the 'triangular' tables for small groups. I think it could work up to groups of 40-50 students too, so would encourage larger, similar rooms. Chairs comfortable.

f)       Furniture layout - flexible. I would actually like another table in C43 near the front (or at least the option to request another table).

g)      Does the room work for you? If not why not? - absolutely, and I was sceptical at the beginning.

h)      Other comments good or bad. - more of the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment